Art Basel 2011

Hi creatives! Did you have a wonderful weekend? I spent mine visiting Art Basel, a huge art festival that takes Miami Beach by storm each year. Art Basel consists of "more than 260 leading galleries from North America, Europe, Latin America, Asia and Africa...showcasing works by more than 2,000 artists of the 20th and 21st centuries." It's an overwhelming and incredible experience, and this was the third year I was lucky enough to go.


Here are some of my favorites:

1. Untitled by Barry McGee, 2011, paint on panel in 20 parts, Cheim & Reid Gallery
2. Girl, Girl on a Globe by Yinka Shonibare, 2009, dutch wax printed cotton textile and globe, James Cohan Gallery
3. Empty Voices by Octavio Schipper, 2011, acoustic foam and cast bronze shapes, Anita Schwartz Gallery
4. Seal Box by Alan Shields, 1984-85, watercolor, thread on handmade paper, Greenberg Van Doren Gallery

I was so excited to finally see a piece by Yinka Shonibare. I've been a major fan for years. There were so many others that they all sort of blur together. I am hoping at some point this subterfuge in my head will steady and stop, and then I can sift through all I saw and show you more. This year was truly fantastic!