Creative Candy: Richard Saja


Happy Friday, Creatives! Today's creative candy is about Richard Saja, whose work I just saw featured in November's Elle Decor Magazine


I would describe Richard Saja's work as "thread graffiti": and I mean that in the best possible way. Saja stitches fantastic mohawks, clown faces, and burning homes over the angelic face of the picnicking bourgeoisie on classic french toile de Juoy. I've always loved the artist who can re-imagine a classic. Mr. X Stitch (so on the ball) interviewed him in 2010, and you can read that interview here. You can also follow Richard Saja's work on his blog, Historically Innacurate. Prepare to use the word "fabulous" a lot.







I am most impressed with his glow-in-the-dark projects and they have an interesting connection to his childhood: 

"My grandfather and I used to put together monster kits that came with two sets of faces, hands, and feet--one gray, the other glow-in-the-dark. The thread gives me my color fix, even when the lights go out."




And did I mention he paired with Opening Ceremony last year to create these limited editioin toile Keds?


My mind has been thoroughly delighted. Have a terrific weekend!