Creative Candy: Fine Cell Work


I first discovered Mr. X Stitch while floating about on Craftster, where he has been highlighting some fantastic needlework artists as a guest contributor. This led me to his own blog: a haven for all sorts of edgy needle artists. My favorite project highlighted on his blog is a charity named Fine Cell Work. Fine Cell Work sells tattoo-inspired pillows, handmade by prisoners in the UK. I love the way these look, but even more so, I appreciate the incredible meaning behind these works, which provide a small income to prisoners, as well as a much-needed creative outlet.

Fine Cell Work explains that participation in this program provides the following benefits to the prisoners:

    *Improved mental health and social skills
    *Promotion of a calm state of mind.
    *The passing of time productively
    *A strong sense of achievement, pride and self-confidence.
    *A more positive outlook on their future post-release.

What a beautiful solution.