Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Hanukkah Decor

Ever since I read Design Sponge's post yesterday highlighting these fantastic menorahs, I've been working over the usual holiday dilemma that comes with this Jewish holiday: what can I decorate with? Here are some ideas with more to follow.

                 Source: realsimple.com via Amber on Pinterest


When it comes to decorating this time of  year, I face a challenge. The menorah and dreidels and coins are always a no-brainer. But what of the rest of the home? When I hang something from a piece of string I think "oh, that looks like an ornament" or if I want to set up a vase with branches and lights on it my family says, "are you trying to make a Christmas tree?" Why can't I just enjoy decorating with what I love? Why all this defining of one holiday or the other? This is a time for celebrating, not discouraging.

                          Source: marthastewart.com via Amber on Pinterest


Christmas has claimed so many of the beautiful ways to decorate for the holidays that now, when I try to decorate my home, I ultimately always feel as though I'm treading on ground that isn't mine. And part of that is due to the fact that the Hanukkah section of most stores (if there is one) is terribly limited to cut-out paper dreidles and banners with rounded typography in blue and white. Perhaps there is little demand for something better. I doubt it. It's a shame that while Christmas has the beauty of bringing nature in, celebrating the smells of juniper and pine, Hanukkah is left with 2-d paper products. Perhaps this is because, for whatever reason, Hanukkah was never terribly showy when our parents were growing up. But I think that has changed.

                 Source: google.com via Amber on Pinterest
   Fabulous Etsy finds from the blog Casasugar

I think there is a new set of modern Jewish families that want a more sophisticated holiday decor. So this week I will be finding the best of the best for inspiration.

Art Print by ThoughtstoPrint on Etsy

I think it's time to slack a bit on the ownership. In the end, our festive decorations are meant to bring warmth and light to our homes in the coldest, darkest time of the year. In my humble opinion, how we do that shouldn't be so confined to one tradition or another that we lose the ability to enjoy what we love.


1 comment:

JAMIE SAYS DREAM said...

Traditions have to change with new times and new people, or they die...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...